cONE 6, MODIFIED sTEVEN hILL scm FIRING
I am very excited by the outcome of yesterday's firing.
I was undertaking to do several things with the one firing -always trying to fill the kiln and minimize the number of firings.
The first out of the kiln were three new bowls made from the laser cut template I made at Centrepointe Library's Imagine Space
Afterwards out came the older, much heavier bowls I made as after hand cutting the prototype laser template design. These bowls had been fired last month and I was trying to improve on the appearance of the glaze. The only one with a fish on the bottom is the one that best shows the results.
I was also trying to recover a piece that had been the original 'Life Song 3' but has now evolved, after two additional firings into 'Life Song for Joyce', as in our long time family friend Joyce Devlin.
After the second, cone 06 firing, which was to affix the hand written text of a Ba'hai prayer it looked TERRIBLE! (I have added a photo illustrating its condition.) The text was crude and the colouring had become a monochomatic brownish red and the surface was covered in tiny thin bubbles!!! Aaarghh! I over-sprayed a little SCM warm and Randy's Red and adjusted the SH firing schedule, which then got cut off because of a programming error. I couldn't be more happy with the results.
However the most critical objective of the firing was to see whether I could come up with one new 'Life Song' sculpture to make a threesome for the upcoming National Capital Network of Scultptors' DIMENSIONS 2015 show.
I was really pleased that instead of one, I came up with two acceptable pieces, both of which which, after looking at the options, I think I will submit for the show.
Option 1 was the two new ones with the original Life Song sculpture, and option 2 is the two new ones and the second of the original three I made a few years back but only completed last year.
Option 3, not shown, would be to put in only one of the two new ones with both older ones.
I am going with option 2.